Guide Price £2 Million Under Offer Contact an agent Request Details View Gallery Download Brochure
One of Herefordshire's most elegant and historic houses.
- Drawing Room
- Dining Room
- Sitting Room
- Rear Hall/ Utility Room
- Store Rooms
- Six bedrooms
- Four Bathrooms
- Hop Kiln
- Planning Permission to convert Hop Kiln & outbuildings
- Formal Gardens
- Grass Tennis Court
- Cider Orchard
- In all about 14.68 acres
Haywood Lodge is an imposing house with views east
towards the Malverns and west to the Black Mountains.
Hereford City is readily accessible with its wide choice of
shops, as well as restaurants, bars, cinemas, theatre and
cathedral. Schools are abundant in the area not just in
Hereford but further afield be it Malvern or Cheltenham.
Hereford station is on the Manchester/Swansea line with
direct trains also to London Paddington or east to Worcester
and Birmingham. The M50 links the M5 to the east and the
M4 at Newport via the A40/A449 dual carriageway.
When William the Conqueror arrived in England in 1066, the
magnificent oak tree still standing in the cider orchard would
then have been growing in the heart of Haywood Forest.
Mainly of oak, this forest was recorded in 1583 as nearly
1000 acres and Haywood Lodge’s origins as a Royal hunting
lodge date to this period. The house was converted into a
prestigious gentleman’s residence in Queen Anne’s reign by
George Wellington. Evidence remains to this day of the earlier
Lodge, such as the stone mullions in the cellar and the spiral
stone staircase hidden behind the panelling. Pevsner wrote
that “the house was beautifully restored circa 1999”
Haywood Lodge is a fine Grade II* listed building significantly
refurbished just before the turn of the millennium when it
was rewired and replumbed. The hop kiln and the adjoining
barn were also reroofed. Haywood Lodge is a wonderful
family house. The gravel “in and out” drive was created giving
access to the side of the house and beyond to the garaging
and other buildings. However the formal entrance is through
the wrought iron gates and along the wide gravel path either
side of which are immaculate lawns and deep borders,
leading to stone steps and the front door with its Corinthian
pilasters and swan neck pediment. The Hall has flagstone
floors with the fine staircase under which is the door to the
cellar and beyond a door to the garden. Off the hall is the
elegant Drawing Room and Dining Room which is panelled,
with doors to the Kitchen with its four oven oil fired AGA and
electric hob and a door to the Sitting Room. The Utility Room
has a cloakroom off, back stairs and back door.
From the Hall, the oak staircase rises to a naturally lit landing
off which are four bedrooms ( one with an ensuite bathroom
and dressing room) and a family bathroom. A door also gives
access to the attic and studio. There are also two bedrooms
(one currently an office) and a shower room at the top of the back stairs.
Across the covered passage from the utility room is a store room/ gymnasium beyond which is a log store and
gardener’s WC. The substantial barn and hop kiln have two floors and a current planning consent to convert into a
house. Nearest the house are two stables and a tack room with a complete cider mill and press and workshop. The
remaining ground floor space has an open sided loggia looking over the garden. Within the courtyard off the drive
is an attractive pond and garaging for four cars. The planning consent also allows construction of additional barns,
completing the courtyard around the pond.
The formal gardens are at the front of the house. The private
gardens behind the house are shaded in part by a flowering
cherry tree, privet hedges and a wicket gate leading to a secret
children’s garden as well as a vegetable garden and green house.
Beyond is the fabulous grass tennis court.
The grass paddocks principally are behind and to the side of
the house and can be accessed from the courtyard. The cider
orchards are directly opposite the house and have an easterly
slope leading down to the Haywood oak and large pond. There
are approximately 12 acres of grazing.
Mains electricity and water. Private drainage. Oil fired central
heating. Fibre broadband available providing 100mbps download
& upload speeds with wireless mesh network throughout.
DIRECTIONS (HR2 9RU)
From Ross on Wye take the A49 north to Hereford. At the top of
Callow Hill turn left to Callow and Belmont. Follow this road for
about 1.5m and the house is on the left hand side. If coming from
Hereford leave the City on the A465 Abergavenny Road, after
the Belmont roundabout, turn left signed Haywood 1 mile and
Haywood Lodge is on the right hand side after about a mile
Hereford 3 miles * Ross on Wye 12 miles * M50 14 miles approx.