A beautifully refurbished house in an historic market town
- Drawing Room
- Dining Room
- Kitchen/Breakfast Room
- Garden Room
- Utility Room
- 6/7 Bedrooms
- 6 Bathrooms (5 ensuite)
- Grade 1 Listed Cottage
- Artist Studio
- Mature Gardens & Fishing
- Neighbouring 3 Bedroom Cottage also available.
The original John Beddoes school buildings were thought to have stood near the site of Garrison House and were later rebuilt in the late 1600’s after a fire to the south and west of Church Street. Garrison House was used by the militia during the Napoleonic wars and through the mid 1800’s. It was then acquired to house the headmaster and some boarders of the John Beddoes School. It has been in private hands since the 1930’s. The Grade I listed cottage, beside Garrison House, is all that remains of the original buildings.
Formerly the old county town of Radnorshire, it is architecturally delightful steeped in history and straddles the Herefordshire/Powys border along the River Lugg. There is a great sense of community with its pubs, churches, restaurants and Assembly Rooms. The Enterprise Park provides local employment and the town has a doctor’s surgery, pharmacy, greengrocer and fishmonger, two small supermarkets, delicatessen, cafes, antique shops, a good primary school and the John Beddoes secondary school. Further private schools such as Moor Park near Ludlow, Lucton School and Hereford Cathedral School are within range.
The house was reroofed some 20 years ago and in 2012 was sympathetically refurbished. It has been rewired and replumbed with new ensuite bathrooms. Oak floors were laid in the new kitchen and in the drawing room and the Garden Room was added along with the adjoining cloakroom/shower room and utility/boot room. Externally the gardens were redesigned and the artist’s studio was added. Garrison House today is a beautifully presented Grade II listed house.
Standing opposite St Andrews Church at the end of the cul de sac, this peaceful part of town is within easy walking distance of its centre. The elegant façade of the house with its small front garden behind wrought iron railings is approached through a gate up to the front door. The tiled hall is welcoming with its fine oak staircase and door the cellar underneath and a glazed door directly through to the boot room/utility and garden beyond. The Dining Room has an oak floor and glass cupboard to one side of the Clearview wood burning stove in the fireplace. Double doors open through to the Drawing Room with its marble fire place, either side of which are book cases and a window seat looking out over the garden. The Kitchen/Breakfast room is large and fully fitted including a 4 oven gas AGA . Double glazed doors lead through to the Garden Room with a gas stove and French doors and a side door to the garden, as well as a door to the cloak room/wet room.
The high arched window lights the complete stair well and off the half landing is a study. On the first floor there are four bedrooms, three having ensuite bathrooms. On the second floor there are three bedrooms two with ensuite bathrooms and a family bathroom.
THE GARDENS AND GROUNDS
Beside the house is an impressive and beautiful 15th Century Grade I listed building, probably the original cottage on the site. One room is open to the ridge and still has the original hearth and connects through to a smaller room with a staircase up to an office/studio. On this side of the garden are the dog kennel, greenhouse and artist’s studio.
A yew hedge avenue divides the garden as it slopes down to the river. Rich deep borders lie in front of the house with a large terrace with its fountain, perfect for summer entertaining. High stone walls add to the privacy and the river, which is also the county boundary, babbles at the bottom of the garden.
To one side of Garrison House, is Garrison Cottage. This property is available and comprises three bedrooms on the first floor with two bathrooms ( one ensuite) and a hall, sitting room, kitchen and conservatory on the ground floor. The cottage has also been refurbished with double glazed windows, new bathrooms and floors in certain rooms, as well as a new heating system and kitchen.
Mains water, electricity and gas. Private drainage. The cottage is independent with similar services.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS
The fitted carpets are included. Light fittings, curtains, blinds and garden ornaments may be available by way of separate negotiation.
DIRECTIONS (LD8 2BU)
The sat nav will take you to the western end of the town to join the one way system. On turning in to Church Street, fork right and the house will be found opposite the church at the end of the street.
By appointment with the Agent.